Sunday, April 06, 2014

Grandma's Airport Arrival

We were getting very excited for Grandma to stay with us.  She was coming to visit and watch the kids over Spring Break because our daycare was closed for the week as well.  We decided that she should stay for 3 weeks since she officially retired and make it a nice long visit.  

My kids love to color and make signs and such and I thought it would be super fun  for them and Grandma if we made signs to hold up at the airport like the pick-up services do.  (And yes, I wanted to see if I could make her cry).  I picked up some poster boards and different colors and sizes of sharpie markers and we took a few nights perfecting our very bright and large signs.  

We got up bright and early Saturday morning to pick her up at the airport at 7:30am.  Yes, her flight was coming in that early!  She sent me a text when they were leaving Fargo and her flight was delayed, but United wasn't updating their flight status to show it online or on their app.  I had just left the house with the kids in tow and turned around since we were only two blocks from the house, but United still was saying they were arriving 18 minutes early.  Needless to say, I was in a tizzy and didn't know what to do.  I didn't want to miss her coming up the escalator and seeing the signs we worked hard on.  We were home for about 10 minutes and I loaded the kids back in the car and decided to head to the airport anyway.  The kids get very restless waiting in the airport, but we didn't have to wait to terribly long.  

My mom didn't know the kids were coming and she thought I was picking her up at the pick-up spots outside the airport.  I asked her to text me when she was getting on the subway.  We started holding up our signs as loads of people from different flights kept coming up the escalators.  We got many looks from people with our bright signs and they thought it was super cute.  She finally came up the escalator and really didn't look because she wasn't expecting us there and then it was hard to miss the neon signs and she realized it was us.  The kids were excited and happy and she was surprised.  It was a successful job!  Although she didn't cry, she said she almost did.  



No comments:

Post a Comment