Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Black Friday Shopping Day




Let's Go Shopping!





Katelynn had started getting a cold on Thanksgiving Day and with a cold for her comes coughing and nights with no sleep.  I was up and down the stairs multiple times that night and had the alarm set for 3:30am so we could hit Target a little after 4am.  I kept getting nervous that I would be too exhausted or sleep through my alarm clock and of course felt so bad for little miss Katelynn all night coughing.  I almost said screw it and stayed awake and thought about hitting Kohl's at 3am since I was awake anyways, but I didn't.  My mom kept hearing me come u the stairs and every time thought it was her wake up call coming to get her up.  Needless to say none of the girls in the house got much sleep that night.  3:30am came and Katelynn was miserable.  She needed to sit up for awhile so I had her come downstairs and sit on the couch with some books and look through them while I got ready to go.  I can only imagine what she was thinking.  What are Grandma and Mommy doing up and where are they going when it's suppose to be sleep time?  As we were getting ready to head out the door she did give me a look and asked if she could come with.  I of course had to say no, but felt a little bad since she was awake.  I told her she could look at books for a few more minutes and then she needed to go crawl into bed with Daddy.
Alright - coffee in had, keys in hand and cash in hand - it was time!  I am not really sure when my obsession started with enjoying this shopping day so much.  Sad to say, but a lot of the shopping that I do is for myself.  The deals are just too good?!  This year though I had an agenda and items I wanted for the kids.
So our first stop was Target.  We got there a little after 4am.  I was not interested in standing in line outside and making a mad dash for a TV.  We got everything we wanted at Target within probably 20 minutes.  Not too bad with two of us shopping.  The checkout line however wrapped around to the back of the store - whoa!  We stood in line and as most shoppers do decide while we are standing there that we could grab more.  I figured me and my mom are every retailers dream at this point.  We of course had the Target ad with us and as we look through it my mom decides that she wants something for Dan and off I go and there are a few left - into the cart it goes.  I had waited to grab a few items of clothes for the kids so I set off to grab them while she held our spot in line.  I detoured and then couldn't resist grabbing a Wii Fit for $67.00.  There were only 2 left and I grabbed one and another lady snatched the last one within in 5 seconds and they were gone.  I had debated for 2 days on my real need to have one and temptation got the better of me.  All day I kept saying "Dan's going to kill me on that one!"  Through the checkout we went and off to Walmart we go.
Walmart is not my favorite store and I have never went there on Black Friday, but they had some items for the kids that I wanted and my mom wanted to games for gifts as well.  I should have done my research on the store because I made a big mistake.  We got to Walmart about 30 minutes after they opened.  We see people with cart's and of course the big TVs checking out.  One interesting thing that my mom noticed was that the shopper's at Walmart had only one or two items in their cart's whereas Target shopper's had cart fulls of stuff; very interesting.  I make my way to the toy section and my mom heads to the entertainment for video games.  I am severely disappointed to see that the Leapsters are already gone.  As I keep looking though I don't even see where they were or a sign that said they were on sale.  I then look for the Crayola items I wanted and can't find them either.  I walk around to see if any other toys are on sale and nothing.  I am now not happy that I cannot find any of my items.  I head over to find my mom and she has a handful of video games, but has run into the same issue - no sale prices.  We ask a worker if the one's she has are on sale and she says she doesn't know, but we could scan them at a scanner in the store and check them and also something about the sale items being by produce.  Produce?  We find a scanner and only one is on sale.  I am honestly pissed off at this point and want to leave.  Ugh is all I can think - Walmart!?!  We check out with our one item and leave.
We head over to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Old Navy and do a little shopping.  I am still steaming over the Walmart ordeal.   We head to the outlet mall to check out Toys R Us and see if the midnight shoppers have left anything for us early risers.  There were a few items there.  I see the Crayola items that I had wanted at Walmart and they are a little over double the price.  They won't do a price match so I decide there is no way that Walmart sold out of them within the first half hour of being open.  Back to Walmart we go.
Walmart again!  Back at Walmart my mom is heading over to McDonald's to see if they have coffee.  I stroll around the store and head down a different isle then I did the first time.  I start noticing all the displays in this isle from their ad.  I follow around a square of the entire store and low and behold I find the toy section of all the display items.  Damn it for dumb of me!  I find my Crayola items, but of course by 7am the Leapsters were gone.  Now I am just mad at myself.  I keep walking around the square and end up by produce and McDonald's and my mom.  I can see the displays that are now empty and that is probably where all the Wii and Xbox games were for extremely cheap - damn it again!  Now I am just mad at myself for not knowing how the store worked and not asking someone where the stuff was the first time I was there.  Ugh!  I bought my few items and then out the door again.  We headed over to Home Depot to grab some Christmas decorations I needed that were on sale.  A pleasant surprise there was the poinsettia's on sale for only .99 cents - thanks Home Depot - good deal!
8am - Time to Head to the Mall.  The mall stores opened at 8am.  I was definitely hoping to find some good deals on a few work clothes items.  We parked the car and started with Eddie Bauer.  Not too bad - everything in the store was 50% off.  I found a shirt for me and a present for my dad.  Next was Gap - they did have a good sale of 50% off everything, but it was a bust.  Off to New York and Company - they know how to save people money.  This was our best stop.  Everything in the store 50% off and if you shopped before Noon they took off another 10%.  They have Long pants, which I can not find anywhere else and their prices are very reasonable, especially with this sale.  Loved that store.  The Loft was a bust for me this year - my favorite store and I didn't find anything that I really wanted or loved, bummer.  I always go to Yankee Candle and Hallmark.  I was very happy that Hallmark brought back the Snowmen that sing for their Christmas item.  Last year they changed it to some Snoopy display that I had no interest in.  I also found the cutest little snowman to put in the bathroom.  I tried to take a little video of it, I will see how it turned out.
We got home around 11:30am.  Whew!  Now that was some serious shopping folks!  The car was packed full of bags and boxes.  We got home to the kids still in their pj's and a Christmas tree up getting ready to be decorated.  What a fabulous day/morning!  Thanks mom for coming with me in all the craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment