Thursday, December 01, 2011

Elf on the Shelf and a Great Prank

Elf on The Shelf

The last couple of years I have heard about this Elf on the Shelf.  I saw a couple of the other Cheerio mom bloggers posting about and was always curious.  A few weeks ago I was walking through Target and saw them there and decided this would be something fun to do and if it makes the kids behave better until Christmas would be a bonus!  I bought my box with our little Elf and his book.  We took out the book on Thanksgiving night and Dan, Katelynn, Junior and myself all piled into Katelynn's bed to read them the story.  We had a huge bonus too because I had caught a commercial on TV advertising a 30 minute cartoon all about Elf on the Shelf the next night.  I read the book to the kids and we told them to look for our elf that Santa would send us the next day.  Dan was even interested in this "Elf on the Shelf" and thought it seemed like a pretty neat thing to do. That night Dan and I found a spot for our Elf where the kids would spot him, but wouldn't be able to touch him.  In the story it tells you that you cannot touch the Elf because it was a rule from Santa and that the Elf also had to follow the rule of not talking to anyone, but he enjoys it when the kids talk to him.  I also had to make sure and put him in a spot where I wouldn't have to move him for the entire day and wouldn't be in the way of our Christmas decorating.  I found a nice little spot for him by our plants.  The kids spotted him right away in the morning.  Katelynn decided that she did not want him in our house.  She really wouldn't answer why she didn't want him there, but you could tell that it was because she didn't want someone watching her behave badly and then reporting on her.  She felt that she had to be good because she was being watched constantly (why do me and Dan not have the same affect?).  She also said that since he was there he could stay this year, but that she didn't want him to come back next year.  As the day went on I even starting thinking that this little elf was a little freaky.  Every time I walked into the room there he sat and he looks off to the side all sneaky like.
Here is where my fun begins for the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend!

I sent my brother a couple of texts asking if he had an Elf on the Shelf or if he had heard of them.  He sent me back that he had no clue what I was talking about.  I took a picture with my phone of "Chippy" sitting in our plants and sent it to him and my mom.  I immediately got a text back from my brother stating "don't you dare send that to me".  Duh!  Game on!  I laughed so hard and knew instantly from his text that this thing was freaking him out.  My mission - get my brother an Elf on the Shelf.  I teased him all day with texts stating that he may be too late because there was already one on the way to his house.  I also resent the picture of "Chippy" in the plants with a message of "I'm Coming for You".  Yeah, I was getting to him.  I had to figure out a way to get an elf in his house while he was gone.  My goal was for him to walk into his house and be sitting somewhere and then all of the sudden he notices the elf and freaks out.  I called a few of my cousins and asked them if they could get into his house while he was gone and nobody could.  Leave it to my brother to be one of the only people left in the world without a code to their garage.  (Jeffrey, this is why you get locked out of your house and the rest of us don't!)  I called my mom and talked to her and then finally got a hold of his wife.  She didn't have the two young boys and she was in town.  I gave her the rundown of what was going on and she was in.  She went to Target and picked up an Elf.  The best part was she was leaving to go to her parents house with the kids the next morning and came up with the idea of leaving the Elf out before she left for the weekend.  I told her to leave it by the TV because that is where Jeff will end up.  It didn't take long on Saturday to get a text from Jeff.  It was short and sweet.  I just text him back and said "What?"  I already knew what and I was laughing hysterically.  He said - How did you get this in my house.  So I told him that we told our Elf to let Santa know when he did his nightly report on our family at the North Pole that Jeff's family was also in need of an Elf and if he would send one to him.  He said he was looking out the window and then from the corner of his eye he saw it and now they were both just sitting there staring at each other.  He said it freaked him out.  He thought I was sending it in the mail or something.  He still has no idea that his wife helped me or how I got it there within 24 hours.  I love it!  I called him on the phone and just laughed.  Getting him this way made my entire weekend.  Later that night Katelynn wanted to call her Uncle Jeff and talk to him about his Elf.  She wanted to know what he named his Elf and he told her he named it "Get Out" because he wanted it to Get out of his house.  I just about fell over laughing.  Katelynn thought it was a pretty funny name to name his elf.  Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous.  It isn't often that I get to pull one over on my brother, but when I do, its a good one.  Jeff enjoy your Elf on the Shelf!

I will say that Katelynn and Junior have both warmed up nicely to our Elf, Chippy, and they run around the house every morning to see where he is.  They say good morning and good night to him every day and Katelynn will talk to him.  She has questioned whether he is real or not, but I know that she really wants to believe that he is and she is not sure if he really reports to Santa Claus or not so she has been on pretty good behavior since he has gotten here.  If she is doing something she shouldn't Dan or I will remind her that he is watching us and she gets it right away.  Junior either really doesn't get the concept yet or he doesn't care if Chippy tells on him, but he likes him nonetheless.  Katelynn has now decided that he can come back next year as well.  So, if you don't have an Elf on the Shelf check it out it may be worth either a scare for people or to set your kids attitudes in check! 

No comments:

Post a Comment